Saturday, April 21, 2007

Sew Sweet :: Nursery Tales (Part 3)



Nicky has gone into serious nesting mode... and apparently this means scrubbing everything within an inch of its being. So I have been given the task of posting about our 2 day crafty challenge. As you can't predict when the bub will arrive everything seems to be urgent... we dropped all other tasks (sorry business) to make this nursery crafty centerpiece before the little one's arrival! And boy did we have a lot of fun- forgot how fun it is to craft with a friend.



We used inspiration from everywhere... Nicky really wanted to feature a tree. It was all about the tree. After searching on the web and books the inspiration was right on her desk calendar... the fabric for the trunk is some thrifted tweedy wool. We adhered it to some Ikea linen with Visofix - an amazing fusible web. I had never heard of this iron on product before, but it is safe to say I am in love. Oh, the instant gratification! No sewing required!



The little critters were inspired by shoes, the amazing felt book and from prints on fabric...

Once we had attached everything to the background linen it was staple gunned to a board of Caneite (I think this is called Homasote in other countries). Caneite is another great discovery, light weight and can be used as a bulletin board. It can be a bit fibrous though and it was a real challenge trying to find a hook that would stay in, so it could be hung on the wall. I think this is a trial and error thing. I want to make another hanging crafty work but this time I might talk to hardware store peeps about the best way! Hope the little bubba likes it! T

Labels: , , ,

10 Comments:

Blogger 62cherry said...

wow, you guy's are the best! I love the board :)

12:44 pm, April 21, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very cute wall hanging! I use fusible web all the time...love it...as well as homasote. I use steel sawtooth wall hangers [with screws] for all my wall + pockets.

2:48 pm, April 21, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

not sure if this has posted twice.
this is great. I have always used visoflex but recently tried a new brand..something called 'steam...???' sorry the name escapes me but It is even better.

6:25 pm, April 21, 2007  
Blogger Ali said...

Top mushrooms! And lucky baby. Enjoy your nesting Nicky.

6:39 am, April 22, 2007  
Blogger sulu-design said...

Such a cute piece! I like that you included photos of the inspiration behind it, and am excited to hear about the products you used. I'm all for shortcuts (gotta get my hands on some Visofix). This baby will be entering such a delightful environment.

7:03 am, April 22, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a beautiful thing. I'm sure 'bub' will love it!!

6:47 pm, April 22, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Can't wait to meet the little bub!

12:42 pm, April 23, 2007  
Blogger Nat said...

wow! you guys should start a craft group! I would definately join!

3:45 pm, April 24, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks everyone! Seems we are the last to discover fusible web! I only have a scrap left... so I forsee crafty store trips ahead! Also thanks Sally... I think it is fair to say you are the maestro of wall hangings!

6:19 pm, April 24, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Who knows where to download XRumer 5.0 Palladium?
Help, please. All recommend this program to effectively advertise on the Internet, this is the best program!

11:00 am, November 21, 2009  

Post a Comment

<< Home