Friday, January 12, 2007

Sweet Inspiration :: There's more to Sweden than IKEA...

Until I left home, my entire bedroom was furnished with IKEA. In fact, my current home office desk is the very one that saw me through every year of schooling, uni & beyond....not to mention using it as a cubby hole as a wee youngster. You could say it is vintage IKEA!

But alas, it's time for that desk to move on...a baby's on the way & we need to magically turn our spare bedroom/office into a baby haven. I say "magically" cos right now it looks like a bomb blew up in it. So keeping me inspired is this lovely book, Children's Rooms "Stockholm" (ISBN 4072501395) which I picked up in Tokyo last year while pregnant (although not even knowing it!?) It's part of the Jeu de Paume series of books, showcasing interiors from around the world. The books are full of mouthwatering pictures...I would have brought them all back, but my baggage allowance was already maxed out!

Anyway, this little book features the kids' rooms of some very creative Swedes. And it is right up my alley cos I'm currently obsessed with that whole Scandinavian aesthetic. I love their use of colours and the simple yet contemporary lines of their designs, whether that be in home furnishings or fashion. Fresh and functional. Here's a snippet of what's inside:

This room just says a happy childhood to me...

Lots of goodies to fire up a little person's imagination...

Who says a little girl can't have a blue room....


And this is my current fav - clean and fresh with red as the highlight...


Thanks to this little book there are so many ideas swimming around in my head. And I'm sure IKEA will feature somewhere in our little one's room. But right now, I can't even walk in there without tripping...wonder what I'll be doing this Friday night?? N

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Those rooms are gorgeous. And my advice is have fun with your nursery decor, because pretty soon they grow up, have personal opinions and discover that with the help of a little blu-tack they can stick up anything they please in your carefully designed space!

Babies show much more appreciation for aesthetics (except when thet projectile poo on the curtains, but that's a whole other story..).

Have fun!

1:55 am, January 13, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is one of my favorite children's design books. So full of inspiration.

And yes, girls can have blue rooms [if I ever have a daughter, she will have a blue room!].

3:09 am, January 13, 2007  
Blogger Soo said...

what a beautiful book! I'm sure you will have a lot of fun decorating the room.....it's a lot more fun than decorating the rest of the house!

7:33 am, January 13, 2007  
Blogger sulu-design said...

I love that without knowing it, you were planning for your little one's arrival. What a fun project you have ahead!

2:04 pm, January 13, 2007  
Blogger princess naomi said...

wow i am now inspired to decorate our nursery! what a great book! : )

10:08 am, January 15, 2007  
Blogger nicbiccie said...

Thanks guys - yes, I'm looking forward to this little (big?) project! Hopefully it will come together soonish...so I can enjoy it before the projectile poo hits!

11:49 am, January 15, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home