Thursday, December 14, 2006

Sweet Eats :: There are tarts and there are...

Mince Tarts! I have decided this festive season was the right time to dedicate my body to research.... into Mince Tarts. Every time I pop into David Jones I have come away with a different example or two examples of this Christmas Treat. Although there is a possibility I have gone a bit over board as my boy last night said he didn't want a mince tart every night... "I am more of a banana split kind've guy"! Here are my findings!

Simmone Logue...


For me this is the winner. Crispy & crunchy pastry. Just a small morsel... nothing over powering! And the mince was moist and had a lovely orange zestiness! It was fresh out of the oven... so I think it was at an advantage to the rest... and Simmone Logue made my 6 wedding cakes, so maybe I was a bit biased!


Patchetts & Manna from Heaven...


The Patchetts mince tart really caught my greedy eye. It was deep and substantial looking. The taste didn't live up to my expectations... the mince was too wet. My boy couldn't even eat half... as the taste was a bit more challenging for the mince tart beginner!

Manna from Heaven. I could eat more of these... nice pastry and a firm, slightly dryish mince. The most shallow tart of the lot. Imagine being called a "shallow tart"!

David Jones...


This is the department store's own tart (I think). It was the most traditional of the tarts. The pastry was most like short bread and the mince had a very rich flavour of currants & spice. This was pleasantly balanced by the lashings of icing sugar! I think it comes a close third to Manna's.

I find mince tarts just seem to split the population into those who love them and those who hate them. I am obviously in the "love them" catergory! Hmmm... what should be next puddings? Ginger bread? I know a full belly is in my future! T

6 Comments:

Blogger nicbiccie said...

Oh my goodness...I am hangin' for a mince tart! I was gonna say what a little piggy, but then again if a DJ's food hall was in my vicinity, I may have been doing the exact same research! We are soooo making some of these next week!

2:22 pm, December 14, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like to make teeny tiny one bite size ones, with a star cur out lid and ground almonds in the pastry. Yum. You've made me want one (even at 6.45 am!)

5:47 pm, December 14, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are making me hungry, the pictures and descriptions are just too inviting :)

10:57 pm, December 14, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i love the cute little star cut outs on those tarts! too wonderful!

1:19 am, December 15, 2006  
Blogger Sweet Treat said...

I am slightly ashamed to sya I have just had another one! Addicted? Noooooo.... not me!

1:30 am, December 16, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

when I first moved to England (from Italy) I couldn't understand why anyone would want to eat meat for dessert. Mince with cream? custard? brandy butter? Yuk.

It took me a while to realise the difference between mince meat and mince pie... ahhh the mistery of the English language.

12:12 am, December 18, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home