Wednesday, November 15, 2006

Sweet Eats :: Afternoon Tea (Part 2) - The sweet stuff!


I guess our affection for Afternoon Tea in Roppongi Hills was pretty obvious in my previous post, as we worked our way through their menu for brekkie each morning. Clearly, this wasn't enough...there are other meals in the day and other branches of Afternoon Tea to try!

And so one afternoon we were in Tokyo's Isetan department store in Shinjuku, having a bit of a browse...when there before us stood another branch of Afternoon Tea! The place was packed...all with ladies (not a man in sight!) with a very civilised queue of people waiting on seats placed outside. Ok, let's have a sticky-beak at the menu. And that's when we jointly exclaimed, "Hey, this is different, they don't have the same menu as Roppongi Hills!"

But it was the range of french toasts that caught our eye & before we could say "Are we actually hungry?", we'd joined the seated queue, perusing the menu while we waited. In fact, they even took our order while we waited...what efficiency! And then I realised how often Tiff must have come to Afternoon Tea when one of the waitresses recognised her! So here is what we ate...

For me: French toast sandwiched with a pinky-hued berry cream cheese, served with berries and maple syrup. It was delicious - yummy textures with the little baguette pieces perfectly caramelised. Yum factor: 4.5/5


And for Tiff: French toast sandwiched with custard and served with stewed apples and cream. She was super-happy with her choice. Yum factor: 4/5

Well that was afternoon tea...let's not forget supper! Believe it or not but we had to forego dessert most nights in Tokyo cos we stuffed ourselves so much for dinner! After eyeing off the dessert menu many times, we somehow found the stomach to fit in some sweet goodness on our last night. Both Tiff & I had the warm apple pie with cream. I think I enjoyed it more than Tiff as it was more like an apple cake than a traditional pie. Yum factor: 4/5


And Tiff's boy had the raspberry parfait...but told the waiter to hold the raspberries! We were like, "what, no raspberries....that's the best bit!?" Oh well, each to their own but I found out later he doesn't like the combo of raspberries and chocolate. Anyway, I think he was pretty pleased with his devilish choice...an ice cream sundae with little brownies and chopped banana topped with chocolate sauce. Yum factor: about a 4/5


Ok, so I think we've saturated this blog with enough exploits at Afternoon Tea! I even brought some goodies back with me just so I don't forget! Is it time for a cup of tea & a biccie now?? N

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just started a diet - this post looks so delicious, I think I'm about to go off it.

Blogged surfed here from I forget where. Loving this afternoon tea.

4:19 pm, November 16, 2006  
Blogger sulu-design said...

Lovely photos and mouth-watering descriptions to boot... you always keep me coming back for more!

2:03 pm, November 17, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

very cute! life certainly is tough ;)

1:55 am, November 26, 2006  
Blogger nicbiccie said...

Thanks guys! It was very tough...stuffing our tummies even though they needed no more stuffing!! Hunger wasn't a consideration!

5:45 pm, November 27, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm SOOOOOOOOOO obsessed with Afternoon Tea. I've only been to the one in Roppongi though. The first time I went there was with my mom & sister, we wanted to die from happiness.

Do you live in japan? so jealous.

4:08 pm, December 05, 2006  
Blogger nicbiccie said...

So glad that Afternoon Tea has that effect on other people, it's not just us! I WISH we lived in Japan, I'd be having afternoon tea every day! But maybe it's a good thing I'm not, cos my waistline wouldn't be too happy about that!?

4:01 pm, December 07, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home