Tuesday, October 17, 2006

Sweet Eats :: Afternoon Tea (Part 1) - A breakfast diary

They say breakfast is the most important meal of the day, and boy did we make the most of that at a little place called Afternoon Tea in Roppongi Hills! Tiff has previously shared her affection for Afternoon Tea and on her return from numerous trips to Tokyo, I would just sigh enviously as she recounted all the delicious things she ate and showed me all the zakka goodness she brought home. My expectations were high! I guess it doesn't help that Tiff has a way of describing things that make you want to have them right now!

And so each morning without fail, we would be standing outside Afternoon Tea waiting for it to open at 10am. After a while I thought it'd be nice to try a different place for brekkie each day, but this place just draws you in with its warmth, ambience and food! On the third day when she saw us yet again, the lovely smiley manager said to us "Thank you for every day!" so grateful she was for our custom. So sweet.

What stood out for me was the yummy array of freshly baked breads. Here is a visual diary of what we ate...remembering this was just breakfast!:

Day 1: Fresh off the plane, I had the bacon and eggplant chilli pasta, served with warm freshly baked bread. Just what I felt like & delicious. I didn't get a shot, but Tiff had the shrimp roll served with salad and a little mug of sausage soup. This would become an almost daily favourite for us.


Day 2: Oh my, this was so so good. Soft, warm banana bread (more like a sweet scroll) sprinkled with flaked almonds and icing sugar. We had this with the autumn special of chestnut chai. We had admired the tea's gorgeous packaging in the store, but thought we should try before we buy! Mmmm...not quite what we expected and we didn't fancy it too much - a little too milky:


Day 3: Ok, so this was actually all for me. A super moist chicken tofu patty in the softest sesame seed bun....followed by another super soft matcha (green tea) sweet bun, crispy on the outside from the sugar coating:

Day 4: Oh my again. This is the shrimp coquette, served warm with mayonnaise in a soft bun with crispy flaky bits on the outside. So yummy:


Day 5: A teriyaki chicken patty, again in a soft sesame seed bun - not as tasty as the tofu burger above, but worth a try! I had this with a very moist and cakey blueberry muffin:



And if you're wondering what that cutie elephant pastry is up top - it was one of Tiff's brekkie choices. Thinking it would be filled with sultanas, this soft sweet bun was a little dry until she got the red bean paste surprise in the middle!

Afternoon Tea subjected our tummies to all sorts of tasty surprises...who knew brekkie could be so exciting?! Did we feel like little piggies afterwards? Yes, but we needed the energy for the big days ahead! Well, that's what we told ourselves. And you haven't seen what we ate for dessert yet...so stay tuned! N

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh my, if I wasn't hungry before... I certainly am now!!

4:06 am, October 18, 2006  
Blogger sulu-design said...

Ummm... all of this amazing food is available in one place?!? How do I get there? (I guess there's probably a cross-Pacific flight involved if coming from the U.S. Ugh!)

9:13 am, October 20, 2006  
Blogger nicbiccie said...

Hee hee hee...yes sorry, you'll need to fly to Tokyo to get all these goodies! You can see why we went there every day - we needed to try everything at least once!

8:10 pm, October 20, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home