Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Sweet Eats:: Martha's Darkest Chocolate Crepe Cake



Baking & mucking around in the kitchen for the past few years has been my most favourite form of relaxation... putting on my apron and concentrating on the whirring of my beautiful red Kitchen Aid just gets my mind off things. This seems to have changed this year with the baking-skills- stretching "Martha Challenge". It isn't as therapeutic as I thought it would be. In fact it is more like endurance baking! 36 crepes later and all I can say is RSI! I am a bit awe of "others" who are completing this challenge on their lonesome.


After 8 hours or so, and much giggling our leaning tower of "Darkest Chocolate Crepe Cake" was finally finished and ready to present to our hubbies for their respective birthdays. We had really been looking forward to making this cake and thought they would be blown away by our efforts. Maybe it was because the cake was leaning like a drunk auntie on a night out or because they where watching "Alien Vs Predator" at the time, we found their responses where very ...nonplussed! We even sang for them!

And maybe it was because it tasted a bit like congealed cream and butter wedged between soft pancakes that we didn't blow them away! We were disappointed to find it just didn't taste that great, no real variation in textures.

A few things I learnt whilst making this cake...

1. Don't underestimate Fran Drescher : I saw her on TV making it with Martha. Surely "if the nanny can make this cake so can we" I thought!

2. The average crepe maker deserves more credit : In Paris the street vendors of crepes spread the batter so thin and they certainly don't make any holes. I made lots & lots of holes.

3. Chopsticks are my best friend: All the older Chinese women cook with them- from steam fish to omelets. Crepes have to be added to the list... nothing unfurls those little suckers like a pair of chop sticks.

4. Skewers are my 2nd best friend: When Nicky was slapping together the 32 crepes they did the splits. The bottom just started sliding away. There was a bit of hysterical giggling. Four skewers later and those crepes weren't going anywhere. You can just see them in this picture.


5. Martha loves butter: Acutally I already knew this. But I can't get over it.


6. Hazelnut Praline decorative toppers are easy!: This was the best bit and only took a few minutes.



Well, click "here" to see Martha's amazing creation.

And here is our lopsided "dopey side kick" version!



Two cakes next month... again something new for me & Nicky, a pumpkin cheese cake. T

6 Comments:

Blogger Ali said...

Just looking at that butter is enough to give you a heart attack! Love your pralines though.

6:24 pm, October 24, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hubbie No. 1 here, there were quite a lot of similarities between set design on Aliens and the side profile of the Crepe Cake. I was seriously impressed by the height and richness of the cake. I just couldn't say it at the time due to the clogging of my heart and feeling of light headedness. Well done girls.

9:30 pm, October 25, 2006  
Blogger sulu-design said...

Since I'm going on the photos alone (what happened - did you forget to send all of your blog readers a slice?), I have to say that I think you did a FABULOUS job on the cake. Quite a presentation!

10:59 am, October 26, 2006  
Blogger PiCkLeS said...

wow wow wow...feel free to bring a sample atthe next foodie's meet. Or better you can just make my next birthday cake!

11:11 pm, October 28, 2006  
Blogger Sweet Treat said...

Thanks guys... Yes Ali this is one heart stopper of a cake. Too much butter. Thanks Susan- Sorry forgot to send you a slice. But after reading your post about your birthday, I should think you would be in a food coma! Pickles are you sure you want a drunken aunty cake birthday cake!

7:35 pm, October 30, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

whoa! those are crazy-cool! Just stummbled across your blog and I think it's a lot of fun! food + crafts + enjoying life... always a great combo!

11:59 pm, November 03, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home