Wednesday, May 24, 2006

Goodies for your life

Tiff has shared about many of her Tokyo shopping adventures and her love for Japanese trinkety bits, handbags, homewares & the like. Well...because of her, I have a new-found appreciation of all these things too (except for the handbags...that passion goes WAY back). So while the hubbie & I were in Melbourne, I couldn't go past shopping at Zakkaya - a shop Tiff discovered by way of a blog. Zakkaya's blurb is "contemporary Japanese goods for your life". And it was the closest I could get to experience Japanese goodies without a trip to Tokyo!

Zakkaya has been only open for about 6 months & is run by the sweet Kumi. The store sells homewares, handbags, accessories, lovely wooden toys, ceramics and other knick-knacks. Here's a few pics of what's in store:

Quirky teapots, ceramics & place settings:


Wooden trinkets, socks, handmade woollen mittens, scarves & beanies:


Lovely printed handbags & purses:


Two little guys enjoying the view:

And this is little Momo...a very curious & cute long-haired daschund who sniffed us & followed us around the shop, but was a little shy when it came to receiving a pat:

There were so many things I wanted to buy, but I had to control myself! Here are some things I gave in to...some placemats & matching coasters, a handmade handbag with polka dot lining, a little wooden apple calendar with an elephant magnet & a linen table runner:

I wish there were more stores like this in Sydney...but come to think of it, that could be very dangerous! N

5 Comments:

Blogger the shim family said...

Oh my goodness. What a sweet little shop. I want one of everything!

7:38 am, May 25, 2006  
Blogger momo said...

I got to know about this shop from Japanese community site,MIXI and wanted to go when I was in Australia last time but we never actually go to Melbourne.
There is a smimilar shop in Brisbane but this one is much much better. like the shops I go here is Japan. When we will move back to Brisbane,I will really miss SHOPS here. crazy though...

2:12 pm, May 25, 2006  
Blogger Belinda said...

What a great shop, love the bag. I've just ordered a pattern from indygo Junction with a similar shape to that...it has the same pleats and band across the top. Since I can't get to Melbourne any time soon, I may just have to make my own!!

8:10 am, May 26, 2006  
Blogger Dana said...

Hiya - I live in Melbourne and just discovered this store on Saturday! I also added it to my blog as I plan on visiting it regularly and of course to spread the word. Love their baby stuff (I am due in August)little crochet booties and birdy coat hooks. Yay!

2:55 pm, May 29, 2006  
Blogger sooz said...

Argh. I'm done for now. This place looks divine. I'm there. So there.

Thanks for commenting on my blog too!

9:59 am, May 30, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home