Sunday, May 14, 2006

Party time!

Yesterday I got to re-live my childhood...via my niece's 3rd birthday party. While my niece knows me as Auntie Nicky, I think she also knows me as Auntie Cake, as I'm always bringing dessert whenever I come over! And when I do, I now have to smuggle it into the kitchen (using my hubbie as a distracting decoy)...otherwise if she spots cake, she'll never eat her dinner...but she'll ALWAYS make room for cake!

But yesterday, there was no need to do any covert smuggling. She could eat as much cake as she wanted in my books! When I was asked to make the big birthday cake, I was a little daunted as I've never made a kiddie cake before...but how could I say no when I was asked by the little one herself!

I decided on the Buttermilk Birthday Cake with butter icing from Nigella Lawson's 'How to be a Domestic Goddess'...cos she claims it as "the best-tasting birthday cake you will ever come across". Right. So I tripled the quantity to make 2 cakes, sandwiched them together with wild cherry jam, then slathered the cake in pink icing, before covering the whole thing with pink & white mini marshmallows. Man...did those alternating pink & white marshmallows take a long time to put on...but not so long to take off by those little kiddie fingers as you can see here:

The cake was a big hit with the kids & adults alike...although I think the kids liked plucking off the marshmallows more! Surprisingly, there was even a bit of quiet contemplation by the birthday girl...


...but a short time later she was spotted voraciously licking off the icing! Anyway, the party wasn't all about cake, it was also about:

Stacking on top of Auntie Nicky in The Wiggles jumping castle...the kid came out in me here:

Unravelling as many sweets as one can manage:

and giving out party treats to the little guests:

We had a lot of fun and the party was all over in 2 hours flat. Yes, the little party people needed to go home to have their naps (birthday girl included)...although I have no idea how they would have done that given the amount of sugar pumping through their little veins! But I know I would have gladly taken their place I was so tired! N

2 Comments:

Blogger Ali said...

Wonderful spotty cake - my kids always get the buttermilk one from Nigella too. It's the only birthday cake that I've had taste compliments on (from the adults - you're right, its strictly icing for kids!)

6:44 am, May 15, 2006  
Blogger nicbiccie said...

Thanks Ali! It was a pretty easy cake to make, so think I'll be whipping this up in the future...with lashings of icing of course!

12:29 pm, May 15, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home