Tuesday, May 09, 2006

A puffball of cream


It shouldn't surprise me that I got sidetracked doing my errands yesterday. Especially when I "happened" upon (no, I did not go out of my way to look for it!) Beard Papa's cream puff shop at my local Westfield shopping centre. Tiff has enjoyed these puffs overseas...& there seems to be a bit of a craze for them in Asia. When she spotted a Beard Papa poster on my local Japanese bookshop's window last week she couldn't believe they were now here in Australia! She was explaining these little puffballs to me & I was intrigued! She was like "We need to go there for research....for our blog!" Oh yeah, like we need a reason to eat!

Well, when I first saw it I was like, "Oh, there it is" & rushed right past it. A little while later I was on my way back to the car...and there it was again & since there was a yummy smell wafting out of the shop...I thought, ok I will treat myself. There wasn't a single person waiting & I was warmly welcomed by the Japanese salesguy. I bought my cream puff & I can't believe my restraint to not nibble it in the car on the way home...so I could take a photo! Lucky my home is only 2 minutes drive away!

The verdict? The airiest, lightest crispy choux pastry I've ever had, filled with a runny vanilla custard cream. You can even see the flecks of real vanilla. Yum. I've never had anything quite like it before...but I vow not to get addicted to these sweet little treats...too many of these & I will turn into a puffball! N

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Aren't these beautiful!? Beard Papa in Sydney was big news among Japanese bloggers in Sydney. I did go all the way to North Sydney #1 to get Kashiwamochi from Umeya and #2 to get these puffs from Beard Papa. Yes, I do agree though, that getting addicted to them is not a great idea...

6:27 pm, May 09, 2006  
Blogger a n n e said...

Yum! I got to try them when I was in Hawaii a few months ago. Even got to eat a green tea cream puff!

2:13 am, May 10, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, this is really yummy! There's even chocolate flavour ones and eclairs and cheese sticks (try this if you have a chance) from Beard Papa too....all yummilicious!!! :D

11:54 am, May 10, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, these biccies don't have little nipples on them!

4:33 pm, May 10, 2006  
Blogger nicbiccie said...

Oooh...sounds like there's a bit of a Beard Papa fan club out there! Hey li li, I didn't see any other flavours there, but will keep my eye out!
Hey anonymous...I know who you are - so cheeky! Like I said the other night, that's the last time I make dome-shaped biccies for you! N

9:44 pm, May 10, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I didn't know there was Beard Papa in Australia! I've only seen the one near the bus stop at Shibuya station. I love it because it makes the whole of Shibuya smell like vanilla and pastry.

10:59 pm, May 15, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home