Sunday, April 30, 2006

Pierre Herme... turn the taxi around


It was the second last time I was in Tokyo... it was rainy night in November and our feet were sore from walking all day. We had decided not to take the subway and had hopped into a taxi. We were heading towards Omtoesando (the Champ de Elysee of Tokyo apparently), right near Aoyama.... and there it appeared, the 2 storey Pierre Herme flagship. I gasped! We turned the corner and it was disappearing from view... I had heard that Pierre Herme was in Tokyo. I just couldn't find it!

I had found it... but I was sulking! It was our last night in Tokyo, and the next morning we would be leaving at 8am to go and get our flight. Arrrrrrgggggh! I was cranky! The patisserie was in my sights... it was just too much of a tease!

So this last time I didn't miss my chance! We did have a misadventure- of course... our first attempt was in the evening. But it just happened to be the night that they close early. So we went the first thing the next morning. The store... or should I call it the atelier, was designed by the amazing "wonder wall". I suggest you take a look at their photos as mine will not do it justice!

It is very different from the one in Paris (near St. Sulpice)... that one is a cosy, dark wood panelled pocket size shop. The first level of the Tokyo shop is a chic extravagance of grey and white marble highlighted with lime green. There is only a small counter of patisserie (similar size to Paris)... they have lots of Pierre Herme's signature creations, but I was disappointed that there wasn't any millie fueille 2000 on this day. There seemed to be a macaroon theme... there were even dancing macaroons in the window with cartoons of Pierre Herme!


We went upstairs to the "Chocolate bar". This was more like Paris... cosy & chocolatey. We took one of the high stools overlooking the street... so we could watch the passers-by. The menu was difficult for us... it was in French & Japanese. So after a bit of indecision we ordered the Mont. Blanc and the profiteroles. The Mont. Blanc was so different! There wasn't a mound of chestnut worms (!), it was hidden underneath with what I think was yuzu. It had both sweet and sour tastes. The texture was also a combinations of crunchy and soft... crunchy chocolate meringue biscuits and the soft chestnut. The profiteroles didn't do much for us... the choux pastry was stuffed with mint ice cream and a chocolate sauce was poured on top.

On our way out I got two macaroons to take home... 1 peach and 1 lemon. That night I could wait no longer... they were succulent... and so flavoursome! I heard myself saying "This is better than Laduree"! I couldn't believe it! I never thought I would say that!



Pierre Herme, Paris, Tokyo... how about Sydney? T

4 Comments:

Blogger momo said...

Next time you are in Japan,we should go shopping together!

2:20 pm, April 30, 2006  
Blogger Sweet Treat said...

Okay! I would love to make it to Osaka one time. Nicky & I are saving up to go together and leave our husbands behind!... so hopefully it won't be too long.

10:26 am, May 01, 2006  
Blogger a n n e said...

Ooh I loooooove macaroons. One of the things I want to do is have a Laduree macaroon!

1:32 pm, May 03, 2006  
Blogger Sweet Treat said...

Anne! I know how much you love them... Hey, whats not to love! We should get some sponsership to go on the macaroon tasting trip of Paris! I just know what my thighs would look like!

6:20 pm, May 03, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home