Monday, April 24, 2006

Banana-drama

When Cyclone Larry hit Innisfail in tropical north Queensland last month and destroyed most of Australia's banana crop (in a region that produces 95% of the national total), we knew bananas were gonna be expensive. But I never thought I'd see the day, as I did on Saturday, when bananas were more expensive than those lovely reddy-green corella pears ($7.99/kg vs $5.99/kg, respectively). That is REALLY expensive for bananas. I normally only buy corella pears when I feel like spoiling myself as they're usually a lot more expensive than other varieties of pear. But no need to feel guilty this time....as Tiff & I decided today...now would not be the time to whip up a banana cake! N

2 Comments:

Blogger momo said...

Hi.
I was in Brisbane when the cyclone hit northe Queensland. Pretty shockking to see that.

Banana is one of the things I like to buy at organic market(in Brisbane called northey street market) so those organic banana must cost far too much now.....

mmm I am in Japan though.
----I have an Australian husband and I will be an Australian citizine one day.

8:55 pm, April 26, 2006  
Blogger nicbiccie said...

Hi Momo! Mmmm...organic bananas sound nice! I love going to the markets too! You won't believe this - I was in the shops today & the price for bananas has gone up to AU$10/kg!! Unbelievable! N

11:22 pm, April 28, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home