Wednesday, September 27, 2006

Sweet Inspiration :: Bags of patches


When we were in Tokyo Nicky was on a mission... to get a new bag. Something original, possibly hand crafted and practical. She unfortunately failed, but was sorely tempted by a patchwork bag we saw at a book store... but it was so, so, expensive. It was apart of an art exhibition by an artist called Kodue Hibino (I think!).


By the way, I love how there are art exhibitions supporting small artists in cafes, bookstores and even on the streets in Tokyo.

A few days later I picked up this magazine (I don't know its name!)


and it was featuring Kodue Hibino... and her bright, fresh patchwork. I haven't ever been a big fan of patchwork... but I am beginning to appreciate this more modern & fresh approach to the craft.


It show some of her techniques, like the way she pins fabrics together to create patchwork.



There were other patchwork goodies in the magazine. This is my favourite.


I will post the other ones up in Flickr so you can see the whole set. T

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ooh! Looks like such a great magazine! Thanks for sharing photographs! My husband will be in Tokyo next month and I'm hoping he'll have time to buy me some cute fabric!

1:15 am, September 28, 2006  
Blogger Soo said...

Love patchwork and love your patchwork magazine! It's nice to see some different approaches and more modern designs - so many ideas and not enough time!

8:28 am, September 28, 2006  
Blogger Sweet Treat said...

Hi Sally... I am sure hope your husband finds some time to get you some fabric. There is so much there! Let me know if you need a map or directions... Marunan is easy to find in Shibuya and takes credit card!

Hey Soo! Nicky tells me you are madly patch working away! I should lend you this magazine sometime... there are instructions... and if you haven't got time to sew, you can just look at the pretty pictures like I do!

11:45 pm, September 29, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

that magazine is something else! I love Japanese patchwork and those are great examples. Fresh and modern, but traditional at the same time.

You can't not like patchwork!

6:47 am, September 30, 2006  
Blogger sulu-design said...

I just came across your blog today and I'm swooning over your photos and great writing. I love your aesthetic and will be back soon to enjoy more. Thanks!

12:46 am, October 01, 2006  
Blogger momo said...

The book is called Oshare jikan and it is 4th edition.

Here is the website of Kodue Hibino(pronounce KoZUe). ( I did not know her though)
I found this page where you can buy her craft work too.
http://haction.co.jp/tam/

3:48 pm, October 01, 2006  
Blogger Sweet Treat said...

Hello Sulu-design! Thanks for coming by ...we love meeting people in blog land! And thanks to the fabulous Momo- she always finds all the Japanese answers out. I have already checked out the link and saw the cutest bag with 2 little houses on it made from ribbons. Such sweet ideas. T

1:24 pm, October 02, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The name itself suggets that patchwork is old fashioned. But it can be so organic and contemporary. Thanks for the pics.

9:12 pm, October 03, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home