Tuesday, July 25, 2006

Sweet Eats:: Like a kid in a candy store...


I'm a lolly girl through and through. Or a candy girl, whatever you want to call it. As a little girl, I spent my pocket money on lollies in the local (now sadly long-gone) milkbars, where 20c could buy you so much!! The 1c & 2c coinage was phased out long ago in this country, but to think that once upon a time 1c could buy you a lolly...it seems such good value looking back now...

Well, even though I can't pop down to the local milkbar anymore, that hasn't stopped my penchant for lollies. Whether at school/uni/work...there were always lollies tucked in my pocket/satchel/office drawer. My current favourites are anything apple, lemon or berry flavoured. Oh, and gummy bears. Gummy anything. So, on the day Tiff & I celebrated our 100th post, we popped down to the Sticky candy shop in The Rocks for a sticky-beak...so to speak.

This place really does make you feel like a kid in a candy store. Rows and rows of colourful rock candy and lollypops in a multitude of flavours. Not only that, but you get to watch the stuff being made! It's amazing to watch...here's a taste of what we saw:

Rolling out the mammoth candy on a heated rubber mat to keep it pliable...definitely lots of upper body strength required here!...


A bit of rolling action...

Ready to be chopped up into bite-sized pieces....

A small selection of the candy on offer...

Of course, the great thing about Sticky is the sampling on offer! What perfect timing we thought...cos we got to try the candy we watched being made...it was still warm! These particular ones were personalised with a couple's names in tiny characters inside...I have still not worked out how they do this!

Tiff bought a lollypop for her niece (who I believe has had to lick it in stages to space out the sugar hits!), but surprisingly we both left empty-handed. What stopped me from buying some toffee apple-flavoured rock?? Hmmm...could it be the stash of sweets I already have in my pantry? So we grabbed another sample for the road...in the knowledge that we'll be back again soon! N

Sticky
10 The Rocks Centre
Kendall Lane
The Rocks, Sydney 2000
T: (02) 9252 3337

3 Comments:

Blogger Soo said...

Josh saw the pictures and said, "ooh cool pictures mummy" Can't believe you left empty handed, I'm impressed!

4:52 pm, July 25, 2006  
Blogger nicbiccie said...

I know...I can't believe my self-control either! Glad Josh enjoyed the pics!

6:37 pm, July 25, 2006  
Anonymous Stephen Right said...

It's a traditional favorites to hard to find retro candies.

12:58 am, August 01, 2014  

Post a Comment

<< Home