Friday, July 14, 2006

Sweet inspiration :: Story book dreams


My dad says that I am a dreamer... Living in the land of the "Faraway Tree". I don't deny it! Story books have always captured my imagination... I have always been able to disappear into the world of pixies, childhood adventures and sweets that grow and grow in your mouth til they explode with goodness! It must be genetic, my youngest brother was captured for years by the story book "Home for a bunny".


I am sure that part of this fascination was because of the pictures.... and I have discovered some amazing Japanese story book pictures! Apparently these were created in the 20's & 30's... before the age of the computer. To me they are exquisite, you can see the time taken to design these beauties.


It makes me think about how things have changed... who can get by without a computer? Not me! We wouldn't be able to blog for one thing! My husband and his friend used to be hired for their ability to illustrate... with much sadness for them they now find they are hired to use their computers! With less time to draw & colour by hand... the whole process is much quicker but it just isn't the same...

Other storybook gems from the past can be found at the Rosetta Project. Old & rare children's books are scanned into the computer and are being saved for generations to come. You can even download them! Great idea.


Seeing these books online has made me want to scour a few garage sales & oppourtunity shops to see if I can find some old "Milly Molly Mandy", Enid Blyton or even some old Little Golden Books. T

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home