Thursday, March 30, 2006

Hospital days

Hello, I’m back! This week saw me spend an unexpected 2½ days in hospital. Nothing serious, but I had a bit of an infection. Woke up early Monday shaking uncontrollably with a fever – I could barely get myself out of bed I was so cold (but in reality, really hot!). Scared the hell out of my poor hubby though (thanks babe for looking after me!)…& scared myself a bit too. Luckily, our nearest hospital emergency is only 5 minutes drive from our place & even luckier, there wasn’t a single person waiting to be seen!


Have never had to stay in hospital before. The last time I was only in for a day having my wisdom teeth out. This time I ended up sharing a ward with some lovely ladies – my bed neighbour & I had similar bugs & came into emergency within hours of each other. We had a lotta laughs about how all dignity is thrown out the window in hospital, esp. wearing those glamorous gapey hospital gowns! You should have seen us make a trip downstairs in them to the common food area to buy some ice blocks – we were the only patients there…my neighbour in her high-heel wedges (it had been her birthday the day before – she was wearing her party shoes!) & me in my flip-flops! Oh well, there’s something about everyone being in the same undignified boat!

It was an interesting experience. As much as you’re lying around in bed all day, it’s bloody tiring. You don’t get much sleep day or night…everyone getting up in the night, the snoring, the nurses & their torches checking up on us all the time, the 2am & 6am wake-ups to take our obs and have our drugs. Plus, I had a complete lack of appetite. I even refused one of my fav desserts, baklava (made by mum) and my fav junk food…cheese Twisties. Everyone was like…”Nicky, you MUST be sick!!”. Hospital food was appalling (think really bad camp food, reeeally bad), but the scary excuse of roast beef & shepherd’s pie was replaced by my mum’s yummy chinese home cooking: won ton soup, sweet corn soup, chicken rice with shiitake mushroom & lap cheong (chinese sausage). Mmmm, that’s more like it. Thanks Mum – what would I do without you when I’m sick?? I also learnt some valuable life skills like mastering the art of taking a shower when attached to an IV drip.

I’ve got to take it easy I’ve been told. V. hard for me since I’m not good at relaxation – I always need to be doing something! I’m a potterer. But now, it’s meant to be a time of rest, catching up on my magazines & lying around watching DVD’s! Thanks Tiff for holding the blogging fort. And for the (trashy) magazines & cheese Twisties. You’ll be glad to hear part of my appetite is back…I’m already hoeing into them. That’s definitely a good sign. N

3 Comments:

Blogger Django said...

I'm glad you're feeling better, Nicky.

Now, take advantage of the situation and let that husband of yours spoil you rotten. ;-)

7:06 pm, March 31, 2006  
Blogger nicbiccie said...

Thanks Jerry...yes, the hubbie has been looking after me v. well - he has earned quite a few brownie points! N

12:50 pm, April 03, 2006  
Blogger a n n e said...

Glad you are doing feeling Nicky. I agree with you about hospital stays being tiring... it's awful to stay in bed all day, in an extremely uncomfortable bed at that!

2:58 pm, April 03, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home