Thursday, March 16, 2006

Sewing 101


I’m learning to sew. Thanks to the needs of our business & Tiff’s creative sparks, this last year has seen me sitting behind a sewing machine many a time. Only problem was, I needed much direction each time. Lots of “Help Tiff, I don’t know what’s wrong with the machine” or “Tiff, can you please re-thread the machine for me”. And lots of warnings from Tiff to keep my fingers away from the needle, we don’t want any nasty accidents….

My only experience with a sewing machine previously was Textiles & Design classes in Year 7. Apart from that, I do know how to hand-sew on a button & take up a hem (although I’m a little slow with this). It wasn’t til seeing our softies take shape into the lovely creatures that they are that the enjoyment factor from sewing really took hold. I’m not gonna take much credit – apart from cutting out the shapes, fabric & sewing on some of the faces…Tiff does the rest! So I really wanted to learn sewing from scratch.

Once a week, I head off to the nearby high school for my 2-hour “Learn to Sew” classes run by my local community college. I’m in the 6th week of the 8-week course. I’ve learnt a lot including understanding some sewing terminology, reading & cutting a pattern, adjusting the pattern to my size, how to sew a zip (managed this one on my 1st go – yes, was v. proud of myself!!) & other sewing tidbits. This week we learnt how to do a buttonhole. But I have to admit, I still find it all a bit daunting. Especially reading pattern instructions…all that sewing lingo! The course is almost over & I still haven’t finished my simple (!?) A-line skirt. So much to remember when you’ve never done this before! But there’s a great camaraderie with my fellow classmates…lots of empathetic laughing at our sewing blunders & lots of cheers when we get it right!


It’s all girls in my class, so my question is…where are all the men? Are there any men out there who sew as a hobby?? N

1 Comments:

Blogger Sweet Treat said...

Well you know that my boy can sew... the joy of going to fashion school. But I wouldn't say it is his hobby. My uncle can crochet! T

5:02 pm, March 16, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home