Monday, March 20, 2006

Kylie Kwong's Dad Rocks!



When I was about 12 years old my family lived in Hong Kong for 15 months. My memories are filled with exotic & fascinatingly gory markets, the cute sweets in corner shop, weekend island trips & the star ferry. A favourite gastronmic memory is the spaghetti bolognaise at the club!

Although I have often wished that I was Italian there is something special about the gooey, salty & sweet Hong Kong version. Mum & Dad's friends are members of "The Club" and I would always look forward to seeing them because there was always something exciting happening at their place and we would go to dinner at the aforementioned club. I have no idea which club, but that's were you find this pasta.

Kylie Kwong is our Chinese-Australian celebrity chef. I have a couple of her cookbooks and in one she includes two of her dad's recipes... one of them is spaghetti bolognaise, and it has just the right stickiness & flavour. The page is covered in spurts and splats because I go back to it so often! In the blurb next to the recipe Kylie says she thinks it is the soya sauce mixing with the tomato paste that gives this great flavour.

So it is Europe meets Asia... and I even cook it in a wok! Yum! T

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home