Tuesday, March 14, 2006

Bag lady of Japan

Can a girl have too many handbags? I think that I probably have too many... and the reason I think I must have reached this point is because I don't seem to be able to rotate through them all. They all seem to be lurking at the top of the wardrobe. I didn't consciously collect them, it is because the bags in Tokyo are irresistible, the bags were so different... On each trip a few more came home and voila a collection! I can't show you them all, because that would be embarrassing! So here are a few...

You can get loads of vintage in Tokyo. I think great big container ships filled with the stuff leaves the western world bringing second hand goods from couture to kid's stuff to Japan. This reversible bag was made from a kid's pillow case and a pair of Levi's. This was the beginning of my stash.


My boy got this one for me Osaka... he actually got me two of these Verda bags. The colour combinations are fantastic, they are reminiscent of vintage packaging. A lot of things in Japan use these comforting and happy colours... I am not sure if it is because they feel they missed out on the 60's and are recapturing the spirit now or something. Totes are also really popular... there is a little store in Daikanyama that only carries totes, they call them the purest form of bag!


The most kookiest bag in the collection is this acorn bag, with a little mushroom for good measure! The fabric looks like it came from the 70's... I have never had the gumption to carry this in Australia, we are so conservative in the fashion stakes and I think I would stick out as the kidult that I am!


This bag is one of my favourites. We were walking through the laneways of Harajuku and saw lots of bags with appliqued dogs on bags on a stairwell. Up on the first level we found a room filled with them... In the background was the hum of a sewing machine, someone was crafting in a back room. The shop assistant told us that everything was made there... a funky artisan with their own shop, their dream come true, I had to support them! Sadly the last time we were there the shop had gone... I hope they had just moved on to another location. T

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your bags are so lovely! How I wish they are mine.... ;D

2:06 pm, March 15, 2006  
Blogger Sweet Treat said...

HI li li! When I am looking at other people's blogs I always see things I wish were mine!!! But my bank account is happy that they aren't! T

8:14 am, March 16, 2006  
Blogger jay lassiter said...

I like the acorn bag and the wide-eye dog tote.
HOT HOT HOT!
did you make them yourself from vintage fabric?

2:48 pm, March 16, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home