Thursday, August 10, 2006

Sew Sweet :: Patchwork passion


In continuation of easy straight-line sewing projects for myself, here is the first patchwork cushion I made this week. It's made from some lovely thick turquoise fabric Tiff & I picked up at a recent fabric sale. Turquoise is my favourite colour at the moment! Anyway, I was surprisingly patient with myself while sewing and although it probably took longer to sew than it should have, there were no major dramas and I was quite happy with the final result.

The cushion was inspired by my new book Machine Made Patchworks 2 (ISBN 457911082X). I don't even have the first book in the series, but this one is lovely, full of nice little projects and colour combinations. Here's a pic of the cushion I tried to emulate, although I made a few changes...using only 4 patchwork panels and leaving out some of the decorative stitching and corner embellishments...


Cushions have always been my weakness whenever I'm in homewares stores. Just the other day I was stroking and admiring a cushion when Tiff said "But I just can't see what it will go with in your place?!" Yes...suddenly praticality sets in and Tiff saves me from making unnecessary purchases!

And after showing him my cushion, I told the hubbie that I'm saving us money by making my own homewares! I think this was music to his ears! Thanks to this sewing milestone, my confidence is slowly building up to tackle more sewing projects. Am really loving this patchworking thing....and last week, I was even considering taking up quilting! Time will only tell if this all pans out....N

5 Comments:

Blogger Belinda said...

The cushion is gorgeous, I really like the zig zag detail on the panels.

6:32 pm, August 10, 2006  
Blogger Ali said...

So much of patchwork seems to be in the fabric choices and you certainly have a great eye for it. Lovely.

8:00 pm, August 10, 2006  
Blogger Soo said...

It's such a pretty cushion, in lovely colours!

8:02 am, August 11, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Looks great, I agree with Ali - you do have a good eye for matching colours and fabrics! I wonder what closure you went with at the back or side??

8:40 am, August 11, 2006  
Blogger nicbiccie said...

Thanks guys for your sweet words. Hey hiho, haven't actually decided how to fasten the back yet; just did a central overlap, but think I might add some buttons or ribbon!

3:04 pm, August 11, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home